Wednesday, December 2, 2009

12-2-09

Today we got up nice and early, everyone happy and healthy and lively. Well, I coulda stayed in bed another hour but why when there is so much to get done.

Today we started the routine per usual. Casey is fed before mom leaves. Dad gets up and makes a huge pot of coffee. Casey naps. Dad hooks up computers to go online and work. Light Classical. Casey gets up at 10 or so. We play for one hour. At 11am he has a bottle and then we drive slowly to the YMCA on Blaisdell. By the time we get there he is usally drowsy or alseep. I check in and give my card to this lady who works there. We are still developing the friendship. (see the first time I went to this YMCA she checked my card but forgot to press the button that unlocks the gate that lets people pass through. So I went through it thinking no problem but instead got jammed in the jewels. She apologizes and then I go through but man, what a kicker. It was also my first time at the YMCA and so things weren't as familiar as they are now. It's fine).

Mendelssohn "Song Without Words in E-Flat Major Op.30, No.1" (as I write the blog I will be taking notes on classical music that catches my fancy. Again this blog is stream of consciousness. I have a hard time talking to people in person sometimes plus I'm somewhat of a narcissist so the blog is the perfect place to unleash and dump!)...that song killed me. Awesome. I think after a few months of this I'll make a cdr mix of these tunes. Need to increase knowledge of classical music. Red wine too.

So, today did an hour on the cardio machine and called it. Casey was great with Yolanda. We made it to the Red Cross by 1pm. Got the badge from Sharon at the front desk which has some device in it that unlocks the door to the Health and Safety Department. It's good to know my wife is helping ensure the health and safety of the Twin Cities community. Hundreds of organizations use the Red Cross for educating their workforces on cpr...first aid...defibriolation....someone saved someone out there.

Looking up the definition of narcissism: Narcissism refers to the personality trait of self-esteem, which includes the set of character traits concerned with self-image ego. The terms narcissism, narcissistic, and narcissist are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness. Freud believed that some narcissism is an essential part of all of us from birth.[1] Andrew P. Morrison claims that, in adults, a reasonable amount of healthy narcissism allows the individual's perception of his needs to be balanced in relation to others.[2]
While most people possess some degree of narcissistic traits, higher levels of narcissism can be dysfunctional, and may be classified as pathologies such as narcissistic personality disorder and malignant narcissism.
So how do you know when you've crossed the line and it's become a pathology?
I suppose it's a good guess.
Tonight Cymatic plays the Cabooze and I really love this band and what they are doing. I think I'll go down for a bit and hang out and see what's up. Had a really fun time back on the 25th playin with those guys.
I remember hanging out with Jeff Austin backstage and we were discussing the merits and downfalls of intimately knowing your bandmates. I mean think about it. Even if every bone in your body doesn't want to go up and try and musical make something happen with these people, you have no choice you have to do it. You spend hours and hours together in tightly closed quarters then out in front of a huge audience. It's some crazy social experiment and grand adventure. They should do a reality show called Tour Funk. Make the cameras ride along in tour buses of semi-successful bands and see what really goes on. People love to watch what really goes on.
At the same time you can make some great music if you have that kind of intimacy with others. Risk and reward. Beyond good and evil. Be thankful you get to do this work. Like Chad Ochocinco says every morning:
"Whatever you do today, make sure you do it with all your best"
Ernesto Halffter
"Habanera", Danzas Fantasticas: Dances of Spain. Mirian Conti, piano. So awesome.