Tuesday, March 2, 2010

3-2-10

Today we got up and Kristi took a day off. She's been working hard at the Red Cross and needed a personal day with Casey.

I had a ARRM Day at the Capitol today. Met with Rep. Masin from our Burnsville district. Talked about how unfair it is to take away welfare money from people with disabilities. I really like going up to the Capitol and doing something on behalf of other people. I always have considered people with disabilities more interesting that most of the able bodied people I know. All the pompous jack ass wanna be rockstars out there trying to be something they ain't. People will disabilities are so real and precious and like diamonds in a giant bag of Kingsford charcoal. Seriously, you can't fake it. You are wayyyy different. After working serving people with disabilities for going on 16 years at various non-profit organizations, I hate calling these incredible individuals "People with disabilities". Drives me nuts. Because the truth is these people had no clue they had "disabilities" until someone told them they had "disabilities". Over and over again people drilling it into your head over the years. From Case Managers to doctors to family members to their places of worship to the "sheltered workshops" where they work with other people with "disabilities". I mean, what if everyone I ran into every day of my life told me that I was "________"....yer gonna finally get it engrained.

I'd love to write a movie about that. About a person with disabilities who grows up in a town of 200 of the most accepting people in the world. Lives there until he's 18 and nobody tells him he has disabilities. Everyone just tells him how amazing he is. Then, he moves to filthy LA where one after the other people tell him he's got disabilities, but he never believe no matter the stressors he's subjected to...he's not...gonna...believe it....til in the very end there is no escaping the label as hard as he tries. Maybe this movie's been made.

This is a crazy week. Tonight was girls night with dinner at the table, homework, piano lessons. I like this Tuesday in my life and very grateful for it. Emma keeps getting older. Both the kids look great and seem very happy. Best thing you can give your kids is a happy childhood.

You are your kids perception of the world.